Fionnuala delivers incisive legal advice and pragmatic solutions
Fionnuala has a strong advisory, transactional and contentious tax practice with an international focus. For over 18 years she has advised start-ups, owner-managed businesses, multinationals, financial institutions and high net worth individuals on business and personal tax. After reading Jurisprudence at Oxford University, she trained and gained further experience at Magic Circle firms and in-house at Goldman Sachs. Before joining Jurit LLP as a consultant, she was a Partner and Head of the Tax at a leading West End law firm.
Fionnuala advises across all areas such as corporate, corporate finance, banking, structured finance, technology, new media, real estate, HMRC disputes and investigations, VAT, employment and litigation. Her transactions are often cross-border and she works closely with many international law firms who need UK tax expertise.
A Francophile, she has the Certificat de Francais Professional from the Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie de Paris and an Intermediate Diploma in French from the Institute of Linguists.
- Advised Barclays Bank on the disposal of the pan-European Dial Group of companies for £269m.
- Advised Microsoft Corporation on the acquisition of Lionhead Studios, iView Group Ltd, Multimap and Sentillion lnc.
- Advised BBC on the taxation aspects of iPlayer.
- Advised on the tax aspects of the merger of the Prince’s Trust and Fairbridge charities.
- Advised taxpayers on HMRC tax investigations in relation to the contractor loan industry scheme
Working on IDFC’s acquisition of Standard Chartered’s asset management business in India for US$205m alongside Indian law firm Amarchands, the feedback was:
“Fionnuala handled the tax deed on this transaction and I just wanted to drop you a line to tell you what a terrific job she did. The deal was part of an auction process and had to be done under very tight time scales and considerable pressure from the sellers and their advisors, Slaughters. Fionnuala was fantastic in handling the tax aspects”
Patrice Couturier, Associe, Bichot & Associes in Paris had the following feedback:
“Fionnuala is a very good professional with who it is nice to work ; whilst she ensures that at all time she sticks to a very secure analysis of laws and regulation, she shows also that, if a difficulty arises, she can think out of the box to find a solution and help the transaction to be brought to completion.”
Insights and Publications
Fionnuala is a thought leader on tax. She regularly appears on Sky TV, ITN, BBC and Russia Today.
Awards and Accolades
Fionnuala has been the recipient of the following awards:
- Corporate Tax Law Firm of the Year in England, 2015 – Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award
- Tax Firm of the Year – Finance Monthly Global Awards, 2014
- Corporate Tax Law Firm of the Year in England, 2014 – Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award, 2014
- GlobalLawExperts Corporate Tax Law Firm of the Year in England, 2014 – GlobalLawExperts