Mike is a very experienced commercial and corporate lawyer
Mike is a very experienced commercial and corporate lawyer with in-depth experience of business. He now advises clients especially on commercial and business issues.
Mike has previously worked for over 30 years at a senior level as general counsel and company secretary for IBM, Motorola, and Philips Electronics, as well more recently for an IBM/Ricoh joint venture which operated in Europe, Middle East and Africa, and has significant experience of working abroad.
He is a practical problem solver with an in-depth knowledge of business, as well as the voluntary sector.
Mike is a highly experienced manager and a successful leader of Legal Departments, and responsible for all legal issues, including:
- Advising on high value contract negotiations issues
- Involved in numerous disposals and acquisitions of businesses
- Advising on the formation of major UK joint ventures with a large UK telecommunications company, and acting for a major investor which was also the primary equipment supplier.
- Responsible for successfully resolving significant disputes involving customers and employees
- Successfully defending sensitive complaints involving alleged breaches of competition law
- Providing training on such matters as competition law, ethics, health and safety and bribery laws
- Dealing with compliance issues including data protection, product safety and competition laws
- Arranging frequent and successful board meetings of UK companies as company secretary, and management of legal entities in EMEA
- Trustee of a pension fund with more than £2B of assets
Mike began his career in a Hong Kong law firm where he worked 5 years as a commercial and disputes lawyer, and became a salaried partner, and was also appointed as IBM’s outside counsel in Hong Kong. He decided not to accept a full partnership with the firm and returned to the UK to study for an MBA in international business and then joined IBM UK where he helped to launch the Personal Computer in Europe. During this time, he worked 3 years as IBM Ireland’s first General Counsel.
He later worked as General Counsel and Company Secretary at Motorola and then Philips Electronics and led their UK Legal Departments for nearly 20 years.
More recently Mike has worked on assignment at Arqiva Ltd and Ericsson Ltd where he was involved in the negotiation of major contract matters.
Mike is admitted to practice as a lawyer in England and Wales, Hong Kong, Ireland and Victoria Australia and is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries (FCIS).
Mike has also significant practical experience of the voluntary sector having been a member of Surrey Learning and Skills Council, a governor of a school and Chairman of its Finance Committee, a non-executive director of an international eyesight charity and worked in village eye camps in Ghana, Burkino Faso and Ethiopia, a non-executive director of a housing association for the homeless and chairman of its Audit Committee, a member of a Research Ethics Committee and has been an active member of Rotary for many years and President of his local club.
A quote from Mike
“We are a group of people with great experience, able to work well together and enjoy doing whatever we can to help our clients and their businesses.”
– Mike Morris