Quentin is a consultant in the fields of data privacy, outsourcing and IT
Quentin Archer is a recognized expert in the fields of data privacy, IT and outsourcing. Before joining Jurit he was a partner in the international firm of Hogan Lovells for 26 years, where he led their international technology practice. He also has significant experience of dispute resolution by litigation, mediation and arbitration, including in particular disputes relating to Russian organisations.
Quentin Archer studied Russian, French and Law at Trinity College, Cambridge and trained at Lovells, London. After qualifying he specialised in technical disputes (building, engineering and technology transfer) and construction contracts. In 1984 he joined Acorn Computer Group Plc as a legal adviser on all aspects of the business, but concentrating on distribution, technical litigation and intellectual property. In 1985 he re-joined Lovells (now known as Hogan Lovells) and concentrated thereafter on IT-related work and information law, becoming a partner in 1987. For many years he headed the international technology group at Hogan Lovells, numbering over 70 lawyers. Since 1 January 2017 he has been a consultant to Jurit LLP.
He has advised on the IT and intellectual property aspects of corporate acquisitions, many large system development contracts, outsourcing projects and numerous other transactions involving software licensing, hardware sale, facilities management, telecommunications, maintenance, leasing, and defence contracts. He has extensive experience of disputes in the IT field. For the last 15 years he has also concentrated heavily on advice in the field of data protection.
Examples of his recent work include:
- Advice on the power of consumer-oriented businesses to market their existing product lines to customers of newly-acquired companies;
- Advising an international educational institution on agreements with IBM for the provision of cloud services;
- Acting for a provider of billing and settlement services in relation to a renegotiation of a major ten-year service contract in the airline industry;
- Advising SABMiller plc on several outsourcing arrangements to standardise data processing on an SAP platform;
- Advising a multinational insurance company on several linked data processing centralisation projects involving multiple data transfers within and outside the European Union;
- Advising a US-based reinsurer on contractual arrangements for a cloud computing project involving seven regional data centres processing data from 25 jurisdictions;
- Acting for an insurance broker on a project to move data processing from several European jurisdictions to the United States.
He has lectured extensively on legal topics concerning data protection, privacy, intellectual property and IT. He has also co-chaired the e-disclosure and data privacy working group of the Sedona Conference and its international conferences on data privacy.
In a varied legal career he has arrested a ship, carried out a discovery exercise on a North Sea oil rig, appeared as an advocate in the Russian Supreme Court and acted as an arbitrator in proceedings (wholly in Russian) at the International Arbitration Court in Moscow. He is a fluent Russian speaker.
- Privacy and Data Protection
- Technology and Innovation
- Intellectual Property
- Dispute Prevention
In Chambers 2017, Quentin is named as a “Senior Statesman” in the UK-wide rankings for Data Protection & Information Law:
“Quentin Archer is highly experienced adviser in data protection matters. He maintains a wide-ranging practice, and has additional expertise in the fields of information law and IP, with particular regard to technology companies. Sources say he is “very knowledgeable, reasonable and good to work with.”
In Chambers 2017, Quentin is also named as a Senior Statesman in the London rankings for Information Technology:
“The ‘excellent’ Quentin Archer is noted for his experience with regard to data protection and cybersecurity. He also advises on outsourcing projects and fintech products.”
“Pragmatic and realistic, and able to bring the full weight of many years of experience to bear on all matters”